This blog is a site to document a Bible journal class. Each entry will be Information presented i

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

In the Beginning

Wednesday, October 21
This is our entry for this week.  












It was inspired by a zentangle I saw online.  The zentangle method is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. It is a very relaxing and meditative way to draw because of the repetitive nature.  

I am providing a sketch for you to copy or just to inspire you.  I did not have a scripture in mind when I first started this design in my sketchbook. I used a circle template with lots of different sizes of circles.  If you don't own one of these, look around your house for small rolls of tape, tops for jars and bottles, etc, to use instead. I used a ruler to draw the straight lines and tried to vary the space between them.

As I continued to draw I began to see planets, the separation of land and water, the miracle of the creation story in Genesis 1.  So I grabbed my journaling Bible and found a beautifully blank page at the beginning of Genesis. I  deliberately made some radiating lines from the center to resemble the cross. In these passages God says, "Let us make man in our own image." Christ was with God in the beginning.  The cross and God's plan for our salvation was planned before the beginning of the world.  So as I drew, I made radiating lines emerge from the central circle to form  a loose cross shape. I filled in may of the areas with small circles and inked around them with black.  They reminded me of bubbles or maybe even stars as God separated the water from the dry land and the heavens from the earth.   I added the water and a little color at the end.

If you don't have a blank page or enough room in your margin for the entire design, you could do one of two things:
1.  Create a slice of the design in your narrow margin.





2.  Do this on vellum and use it as an overlay. Tape it on with that invisible tape by 3M.

No comments:

Post a Comment